AS/NZS 4836:2011 – Your Best Safety Friend?
AS/NZS 4836 deals with “safe working on or near low-voltage electrical installations and equipment”. It covers a wide range of safety issues that electrical workers face every day.
Regulation 100 of the Electricity (Safety ) Regulations 2010 states that a person who carried out prescribed electrical work must, so far as is reasonably practicable, comply with AS/NZS 4836 for all electrical work carried out on electrical equipment operating at low or extra-low voltage.
Specific topics covered by AS/NZS 4836 are:
- The principles of safe working practices
- Recommended procedures for safe working practices
- Principles of risk management, assessment of risk and risk management
- Working with asbestos and PCBs
- Working below ground level
- Cutting cables and wiring enclosures
- Selection and use of test equipment
- Selection and use of personal protective equipment
- Preservation of an incident scene
Get your free download of the standard via the Board’s Standards Portal at EWRB - Standards.
The Board has also developed a Tool Box resource that provides guidance around safe working practices and AS/NZS 4836. It can be viewed at EWRB - The Toolbox