Apply for a Limited Certificate
How to apply for a Limited Certificate as a trainee or a person who has been offered a Limited Certificate after having overseas and/or New Zealand experience assessed.
Follow these steps to apply:
Please ensure that the application form is fully completed. Applications will not be processed unless the form is fully completed.
1. Download and complete an application form
If you are a trainee, please complete the application form below:
If you have been assessed and offered a Limited Certificate, please fill out this application form:
If you have not yet been assessed and offered a Limited Certificate please go to the Apply for a registration assessment page
2. Prepare supporting documents
Along with your application, you need to provide:
- a signed declaration, within the application form, from the registered and licensed person who will supervise you as you carry out prescribed electrical work;
- details on safety training completed, including Safe Work Practices, Testing, First Aid and/or CPR; and
- if you belong to an Industry training organisation (ESITO, ETITO, Competenz) your Training Identification Number.
3. Submit and pay the application fee
It is quick and easy to submit applications to become a licensed electrical worker via internet. Applications mailed to the Board’s postal address take longer to receive and process.
Trainee Limited Certificate application
To apply for a Trainee Limited Certificate click this button to submit your application and upload your documents.Apply now
Limited Certificate application
To apply for a Limited Certificate click this button to submit your application and upload your documents.Apply now
Alternatively applications and supporting documents can be mailed to:
Electrical Workers Registration Board
PO Box 10156
Please do not courier applications as this may delay processing. Applications via fax or email are not accepted.
4. Next steps
Processing and issuing of a trainee Limited Certificate card will take up to 10 working days.
If your application is successful, you will receive:
- a letter explaining what to do to get registered and licensed, if you are exempted from any requirements, and what further requirements you need to meet
- your Limited Certificate card, with the obligation to complete the directed coursework and examinations during its currency
If only some of your experience is suitable, we may still offer you a Limited Certificate, with the condition that you complete the remaining requirements in New Zealand.
Completing safety training
To keep your Limited Certificate, you must complete approved safety training, covering safe working practices, testing, CPR and basic first aid, within three months of applying for your Limited Certificate. If you are not a trainee and are from overseas please see the safety training page for IMPORTANT INFORMATION.
If you don’t do this training in time, your Limited Certificate becomes invalid. As safety training does not happen regularly (especially in some areas), we recommend you check the list of training providers to plan the timing of your training.