Apply for a registration assessment

How to get your overseas work experience and overseas qualifications assessed for registration.

How much it costs to apply

The fee is $1,650 (including GST) for each application.

You can pay for your application by credit or debit card. All payments made outside the New Zealand banking system should be made by credit card.

How to apply

To apply you'll need

  • to have completed the required amount of experience
  • fill in the application form
  • pay the application fee
  • provide supporting documentation
  • submit the application.

Overseas registration application form [PDF, 372 KB]


If you have an Australian licence, your application is processed in accordance with the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997 (TTMRA).

More details on registering with an Australian Licence under TTRMA.

Prepare supporting documents

Organise and scan the following supporting documents. PDF and JPG formats supported:

Proof of your identity

This can be a certified copy of your passport personal identity page. The witness must be a person authorised to witness a statutory declaration.

Oaths and Declarations Act 1957(external link) -  Legislation website

Detailed references

Your references show us that you have had sufficient experience in the area in which you are seeking registration. Check out the amount of experience you need under Work history statements. Please do not apply if you have yet to complete the required hours, as your application will be declined. These references should be on letterhead, dated and signed by your supervisor or employer. We are looking for proof that the type of experience you have had matches our requirements.

A role as an Electrical Engineer or Electrical Technician, can mean many different things in different countries, so we need to have your role explained to us, so that we can tell that your experience is suitable for registration. You can attach a position description to your reference. Please make sure that you refer to it in that reference and show that you personally performed those duties.

Where you are unable to obtain a reference with details of the work you did and you only have certificates of work, you may submit both work certificates AND a Statutory Declaration. A Statutory Declaration is written by yourself, then signed in front of a person authorised to take an Oath. In the declaration you can give us the required detail of the type of work you did to supplement the information in your work certificates.

Please note that falsifying work references is fraud if you are applying for registration based on those references.


All submitted qualifications must be certified by authorised to witness statutory declarations.

For those applying for Electrician registration, your overseas qualifications may entitle you to exemptions from some registration requirements. These possible exemptions only apply to Electrician registration as all other classes require the completion of EWRB approved courses and examinations. If you are applying for electrician registration then please submit your overseas qualification for consideration and we will advise you if it is accepted for any exemption. You may be required to obtain an independent assessment of your qualification.

For those applying for Electrical Engineer registration, please ensure that you also submit a qualification assessment letter from NZQA or Engineering NZ. Please note that this class of registration may not be on the Skills Shortage list for Immigration New Zealand’s visa points.

Size of your application

Your application must not exceed 20 pages of single-sided documents. Exceptions can be approved where documents have translations attached.

Additional information

If you are an electrical worker planning to emigrate to New Zealand, our aim is to ensure you understand our registration and licensing requirements, and how well you may meet them, before you emigrate. We do NOT need character references, minor qualifications (gained prior to your main qualification), Transcripts and certificates of attendance at upskilling courses. These may be of interest to employers but have no bearing on the assessment process.

Your qualifications and experience will be assessed against the criteria for registration and must meet the rules of the Electrical Workers Registration Board with regard to Proof of identity and authentication of overseas documents.

If you provide copies of documents, you need to have these certified by a person who is authorised to administer oaths and declarations under the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957. A Justice of the Peace (JP) is an example of an authorised person. You can also use a Public Notary, solicitor or NZ court registrar. Please do not ask the NZ Police to certify your copies.

If details on the copy are not clear, or there is doubt about its authenticity, we may ask you for original documents. We will return all original documents to you once we have made a decision on your application.

If the information on your qualification, certificate, registration or licence is not in English, you must include a certified English translation.


Overseas qualifications / experience application

To apply for a Overseas Qualifications/ Experience application click this button to submit your application and upload your documents

Apply now

Alternatively applications and supporting documents can be mailed to:

Electrical Workers Registration Board
PO Box 10156
Wellington 6143
New Zealand

Please do not courier applications as this may delay processing. Applications via fax or email are not accepted.

What next?

If your application is complete (the form is correctly filled in, all required documents have been submitted and payment is accepted) the assessment process will begin. Overseas applications will take 4 – 6 weeks to complete.

Reviewing your application

Qualifications are evaluated and following confirmation of an applicant’s eligibility, an assessment of the supporting documentation is undertaken by the Boards assessment team.

What happens once a decision is made?

Once the evaluators complete their assessment, a recommendation on registration is referred to the Licensing Team who will then send a letter detailing the requirements to complete registration.

This is likely to be examination pass(es), practical assessment completion and may include further work experience.

If you meet a certain criteria of sufficient work experience you will also be invited to apply for a Limited certificate. If not you will be advised to apply for a Trainee Limited Certificate. Either Limited Certificate is required if you wish us to recognise the prescribed electrical work you will do in New Zealand towards your registration.

Your application for registration will then be placed on hold until you have completed the requirements we will outline in your assessment letter.

How long does it take?

Once we have received your application:

  • Overseas applicants registration assessment
    • 4-6 weeks if all required paperwork is submitted. Timing starts when the application is "complete".
  • Limited Certificates:
    • Overseas or NZ trainee > 10 working days.
  • Practising Licence (PL):
    • Overseas applicants applying for a PL to complete registration > 10 working days.

When does my card arrive?

You will be advised by email on the completion of any application. If a card is being issued this will take up to 10 working days to arrive. However if it has not arrived within 20 working days of your notification of completion then contact us. Ring 0800 66 1000 or email

Need advice?

Get in touch with us if you have a question or need more information.

Contact us