Limited Certificate for overseas-trained applicants

If you want to work in New Zealand while you are completing additional training or have outstanding registration requirements you must have either a Limited Certificate or Provisional Licence.

Limited Certificates

You can apply for a Limited Certificate once your overseas qualifications and experience has been assessed, and your experience has been recognised as being appropriate for registration. You must receive an offer of a Limited Certificate before you apply. The option to apply for a Limited Certificate will also show on your on-line portal home page.

The duration of your Limited Certificate is based on the requirements to complete registration from the assessment. It will vary between 12 and 18 months.

You will need a supervisor, and they must be registered and licensed.

Your application must have a declaration form signed by a suitably registered, licensed electrical worker who has declared that you will be supervised in accordance with the supervision procedures for trainees issued by the Board.

Apply for a Limited Certificate(external link)

What happens next?

Processing and issuing of a Limited Certificate card may take up to 20 working days.

If your application is successful, you will receive:

  • a letter explaining what to do to get registered and licensed, if you are exempted from any requirements, and what further requirements you need to meet
  • your Limited Certificate card, with the obligation to complete the directed coursework and examinations during its currency

Supervision Companion Guide [PDF, 1 MB]

Completing safety training

To keep your Limited Certificate, you must complete approved safety training, covering safe working practices, testing, CPR and basic first aid, within three months of applying for your Limited Certificate. If you are not a trainee and are from overseas please see the safety training page for IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

Safety training page

If you don’t do this training in time, your Limited Certificate becomes invalid. As safety training does not happen regularly (especially in some areas), we recommend you check the list of training providers to plan the timing of your training.

List of training providers

Provisional Licences

Some applicants may also get the opportunity to have a Provisional Licence which enables a person to work without supervision but limits that work.

  • a holder of a Provisional Licence cannot certify their work, nor supervise others
  • a Provisional Licence is only issued for up to 6 months while the holder completes outstanding registration requirements.

The Board will advise you when applying for registration if an applicant is eligible to apply for a Provisional Licence. This option will only appear on your on-line portal home page if this the case.