Apply to become a registered electrical worker.
1. Download and complete the application form
2. Pay the application fee
Pay your registration application fee ($175 incl. GST for New Zealand-trained applicants or $350 for an overseas-trained applicants) and practising licence application fee (see fee schedule on application form).
Make cheques payable to "Electrical Workers Registration Board", or provide credit card details and authorisation on your form.
3. Provide supporting documents
Check you have:
- attached any required certified copies of certificates/qualifications
- attached employer work experience reference(s)
- completed required safety training; and
- submitted an ID photo online or attached one to your application. (Only required if you are also applying for a licence card).
4. Submit your application
Post your application, with supporting documents and payment to:
Electrical Workers Registration Board
PO Box 10156
Scanned applications/documents are acceptable if resolution is of a suitable quality, however, faxed documents are not accepted.
You can also email your documents to email@example.com
If you require an invoice, this can be sent once processing of the fees is complete. Please state if one is required and the email address for remitting as invoices are not sent automatically.
5. What next?
If your application is complete (the form is correctly filled in, all required documents are attached and payment is accepted) the assessment process will begin. Overseas applications will take 6 – 8 weeks to complete and NZ applications (with references) will take 3 – 4 weeks to complete.
Reviewing your application
Qualifications are evaluated and following confirmation of an applicant’s eligibility, an assessment of the supporting documentation is undertaken by the Boards assessment team if required. If a practising licence is required the applicant’s safety training status is checked.
What happens once a decision is made?
Once the evaluators complete their assessment, a recommendation on registration is put forward to the Registrar with an evaluation report.
From here, the Board will inform you of the outcome of your application. If your application is successful you will be provided with written confirmation and you will be added to the electrical workers register.
Assessment may find that you have yet to meet the requirements for registration, in which case the Licensing Team will inform you by letter of the missing requirements. This may be an examination pass, practical assessment completion or further work experience.
How long does it take?
Once we have received your application:
- Overseas applicants registration assessment
- 6-8 weeks if all required paperwork is submitted. Timing starts when the application is "complete".
- NZ applicants registration assessment
- National Certificate (Competence-based pathway) > 10 working days.
- Experience pathway > 3-4 weeks.
- Limited Certificates:
- Overseas or NZ trainee > 10 working days.
- Practising Licence (PL):
- Registered electrical workers applying for a PL manually > 10 working days.
- Overseas applicants applying for a PL to complete registration > 10 working days.
- Replacement PL card > 10 working days.
Allow additional time to the above for your chosen postal/courier service to deliver your application to us – NZ Post has a target of 3 working days to deliver documents within New Zealand.
Please ensure your required paperwork is complete. An incomplete application will be referred back to you and can significantly delay assessment of your application and registration.
Get in touch with us if you have a question or need more information.