Limited Certificate for overseas-trained applicants

Limited Certificate for overseas-trained applicants

If you want to work in New Zealand while you are completing additional training or have outstanding registration requirements you need to have either a Limited Certificate or Provisional Licence.

Limited Certificates

You can apply for a Limited Certificate once your overseas qualifications and experience has been assessed.

The duration of your Limited Certificate is based on the requirements to complete from the assessment.

1. Complete an application form

Overseas applicants must complete this application form:


Please ensure the application form is fully completed with the fee including the name and registration number of your supervisor in New Zealand. Applications will not be processed unless the form is fully completed.

2. Provide supporting information

Your application must be countersigned by suitably registered, licensed electrical worker who has declared (on the form) that you will be supervised in accordance with the supervision procedures for trainees issued by the Board.

Supervision of trainees holding a Limited Certificate [PDF, 728 KB]

3. Submit your application and pay the fee

It is quick and easy to submit applications to become a licensed electrical worker via internet. Applications mailed to the Board’s postal address take longer to receive and process.


Submit your application

Submit your application via internet (preferred)

Submit your application

Alternatively applications and supporting documents can be mailed to:

Electrical Workers Registration Board
PO Box 10156
New Zealand

Please do not courier applications as this may delay processing. Applications via fax or email are not accepted.

4. Next steps

Processing and issuing of a Limited Certificate card will take up to 10 working days.

If your application is successful, you will receive:

  • a letter explaining what to do to get registered and licensed, if you are exempted from any requirements, and what further requirements you need to meet
  • your Limited Certificate card, with the obligation to complete the directed coursework and examinations during its currency.

If only some of your experience is suitable, we may still offer you a Limited Certificate, with the condition that you complete the remaining requirements in New Zealand.

Which postal address to use

For your Limited Certificate card to be sent to you, we recommend you:

  • use a New Zealand based postal address 
  • allow up to 20 working days if using an overseas address

Provisional Licences

Some applicants may also get the opportunity to have a Provisional Licence which enables a person to work without supervision but limits that work.

  • a holder of a Provisional Licence cannot certify their work, nor supervise others
  • a Provisional Licence is only issued for up to 6 months while the holder completes outstanding registration requirements.

The Board will advise you when applying for registration if an applicant is eligible to apply for a Provisional Licence.

Apply for a provisional licence

Need advice?

Get in touch with us if you have a question or need more information.

Contact us