New competency programme for licensed electrical practitioners
The Board has developed a new competency programme to ensure a more consistent delivery of programme content and quality for all licensed electrical practitioners. This new programme is the prescribed minimum benchmark for competency programmes.
Introduction to the new programme and online learning modules
This new programme is now the prescribed minimum benchmark for all approved competency providers.
Since January 2018 all Competence Programmes must include the completion of two online learning modules (e-modules) before attending a course with an approved provider. After enrolment the provider will send this link to access the e-learning modules.
It is recommended you complete these modules as soon as you have enrolled for a competency programme, print a completion certificate as proof you have done the modules and bring this with you to the course. The provider requires this certificate before they can inform the EWRB you have successfully completed the competency programme.
Overview of the new programme
The programme material will provide resources and structure to assist and assure providers that the Board’s competency requirements are being met more effectively and consistently.
- Participants enrol on a competence course, with a provider of their choice.
- Participants will be required to complete two e-learning modules prior to attending the course. These modules will be housed (and maintained) by the EWRB.
- Completing CPR and basic first aid continues to be a part of the programme as currently provided.
- The facilitator will deliver a course of instruction, including a news update on relevant current electrical issues.
- Participants to complete both a written assessment and a practical testing exercise.
- The written assessment will comprise 10 questions and will be ‘open book’; participants may use reference materials during the assessment.
Resources available to providers
- A facilitator’s guide setting out suggested course framework.
- Current news update of relevant information to be delivered during presentation.
- A question bank of technical written assessment questions and answers for each class of registration, and a set of branded templates.
- List of practical tests to be conducted according to the practitioner’s registration class.
Initiatives and programme development
It is the Board’s expectation that new programme material will continue to be regularly updated, developed and enhanced. They are also mindful that skill, knowledge, experience and presentation skills of the facilitator are an important factor in the effective delivery of the programme.
New Competency Programme Provider applications
This process applies to all provider applications. To apply, you will need to complete and submit a Response Form (RF) to the Electrical Workers Competence Programme Invitation to Qualify (ITQ) document.
Download the two documents below.