Resolving problems

The first thing to do if you have a problem with electrical work is to discuss it with the electrical worker or company who did the job.

If you can't come to a resolution you're happy with, you have the option of laying a formal complaint with Electrical Workers Registration Board (EWRB).

Making a complaint has more information on how to make a formal complaint.

The Board can only consider matters relating to the safety and compliance of electrical work.

Reporting safety issues

Contact us — if you are worried about the safety of any electrical work 

Contact Energy Safety(external link) (part of Worksafe) — if you think an installation or a product is unsafe: Freephone: 0800 030 040

Having a stand-off over electrical work? Email your concerns to: 

Or, fill out a complaint form:

Lodging a complaint form [PDF, 579 KB]

Disputes Tribunal of New Zealand(external link) handles matters relating to overcharging, damage to property or other matters of unsatisfactory service delivery.

The Consumer Protection website has these resources to guide you:

How do I know if the prescribed electrical work done is safe and compliant?

Your assurance that prescribed electrical work is safe is when that work is carried out by a registered and licensed electrical worker.

All prescribed electrical work must be certified on an Electrical Safety Certificate (ESC).

General and high risk prescribed electrical work will also require an Electrical Certificate of Compliance (ECoC). The electrical worker who carried out the prescribed electrical work must provide you with the necessary certification.

The Electrical Certificate of Compliance and the Electrical Safety Certificate must include the authentication mark as shown below:

Authentification mark for electrical work